Pages

Thursday 28 February 2013

How not to write a Speech

Well um hi....hello, hello there gentlemen ladies that wasn't right ohh, today my name is speech oh no thats not right, okay wait I’ll restart umm GOOD NIGHT UH I MEAN GOOD MORNING EVERYBODY MY NAME IS, oh no wait that sounds scary, too powerful Maya too power full bring it down a notch. one second just let me restart um okay well then uh. Hello, Good afternoon honourable judges, Ladies, gentlemen, and students, Ever wonder what can entirely ruin even the most brilliant of speeches? What comes off as either too powerful or too shy onstage, and it immediately makes your audience lose attention? My name is Maya Chwilkowski, please turn your attention to me to find out: “How not to write a speech”.

The introduction of a speech is very important, the worst intro can make the most interesting speech topic incredibly boring---
The first way how not to start your speech is this, don't start with a boring,dreary, fairly self explanatory hook, because its not a hook, just the first dull sentence of what could be an amazing speech but your audience won't know because you wouldn't have fascinated them enough with the beginning to listen. If the beginning of your speech doesn’t create an interesting point to fascinate your audience then they won’t feel inclined to listen to the rest of it.

Now that you know how to avoid mangling the introduction of your speech, onto the general wording while telling your speech, DON’T go back and fix things after you’ve started, I mean when you start go fix things, I mean no don’t go fix Yes thats right after you start don't go back and fix what you said, cause if you fix what you said I mean if you meant something else but said another thing,just go with it, well actually what i meant to say was if you go back to a point and try to change it that only complicates something you've already said confusing the audience. Just how a majority might be lost now, as my humanities teacher said “Telling a speech isn’t like writing an essay, you can’t go back to change what you’ve said”, remember that when telling your speech, it will be better received if you move on from your mistake.

As a final wrap of the things to avoid while writing a speech this is what not to do when presenting your final product, and it’s all connected with posture and body language. I myself am naturally a fidgety pretzel sloucher, its a habit of either taping,crossing your legs and slouching while speaking and sometimes all three. Also don’t be an Armadillo, this is those presenters that stand stiff and in place for the entire speech while trying to look small and appear scared. However it's equally as bad to present as what I refer to as an Octopus, using gigantic hand gestures that are unecessary to the topic and take attention away from the speech, if you can't imagine it as an octopus take for example when presenters have their arms flailing around as if they are trying to swat away flies. However my personal favorite body language not to do, is when people decide presenting their speech is the perfect moment they have been waiting for to proactive their “Cousin itt” impression. Remember in your speech not to avoid eye contact, don’t hide behind your bangs and don't stare at your feet for the presentation, you will appear scared of the audience and tends to disconnect you from the topic youre try to explain.

Now that you know what not to when writing a speech let me go over the main points again, remember not to use a boring ending, dont stand too stiff or too floppy and dont avoid eye contact with the audience,
Thank you for listening! :)


(I’m not at all happy with my conclusion so I want to refine it allot more. Any suggestions how to end it better?)

2 comments:

  1. Great speech idea Maya I loved reading it. It is so relatable at the moment. It was informative and had it's humor that would keep your audience interested. First off this has nothing to do with your speech but could you change your font color it made you speech quite difficult to read. Moving on so when you were explaining about how to not go back and fix things i felt you slightly over did your explanation. I loved the idea of explaining it through showing it. However you might want to tone it done a bit because it will confuse the audience if you over do it. Also by doing that you in a way might have shown less information about the actual topic. Moving on an idea for your conclusion could be a piece of advice you got that you really like or a quote that you felt relates well with you speech. Other then that I loved your speech. I loved the topic and the humor and the fact that I wasn't bored to tears reading it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sapeeda! I tried to chang the font of it but I'm not really sure how to, other then that then yes I will tone it down a bit while explaining and I was already looking for qutoes I just couldn't figure if using one for the conclusion would be good, but I'll try that. I'm glad that it didn't bore you thats what I was hoping for, :)

    ReplyDelete