Pages

Tuesday 26 February 2013

Over Exaggeration of the Media - Draft

Tomorrow we will all be dead; a huge earthquake will strike Canada followed by tsunamis and eliminate all of us! How many of you believe me? I’m guessing not many. It sounds pretty crazy that anyone at all will think this will actually occur. What if I was someone else? Say I was a news reporter, with interviews from geologist saying that there’s a shift in our tectonic plates. What if I show you different maps and graphs proving that earthquakes and tsunamis are happening tomorrow. How many of you believe me now?

Hi, my name is Anaya, and I know what I just said sounds pretty unrealistic; that someone would actually think the world will end tomorrow just because of something I said. Surprisingly most of us do, without realizing it. Remember 2012, how there were constant newsflashes, maps, even weather reports about how the world was supposed to end. Some people gave up everything they had, just to support the cause. While others hid in fear of what was supposed to come. If these people look back at their actions now, they’d feel regretful for their choices. But what made them see that theory of 2012 will happen? It’s nothing other than the media. It’s the frequent updates and the persuasive voices. It’s how they over exaggerated the stories.

Over exaggeration of media stories can drastically affect people in different ways. Like what I mentioned before, the whole 2012 assumption scared people and destroyed their futures. Although these were independent decisions, watching something off the news or reading it off the newspaper has an impact. Most people look at the media as a great ways to learn about the world around them. Don’t get me wrong, I agree that it’s a very resourceful tool. However, if it is said in an overstated way, all the media is doing is sending a wrong message. It is understandable though that by exaggerating the stories will receive more viewers. Generally speaking, most of us don’t watch, read, or even listen to the media. But, for the daily viewers, they want the real information, not the added details that make the story sound worse than it actually is or in some cases, more exciting. So next time you watch the news, read the newspaper, or listen to the radio, ask yourself does that sound realistic?

2 comments:

  1. Good job on your speech draft. I liked how you used an intro that would get the audience's attention, and also asked them a question. The example of 2012 was good, because it happened quite recently and people are still talking about it now. One thing you could do is to try using a bigger variety of examples of overexaggeration of media, like diseases or things other than disasters. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good speech Anaya! I liked how you used the hook in the introduction, it got me interested in listening the rest of your speech!
    I think you have a good point about the exaggeration of the media
    and it made for a good topic!
    Maybe next time you could talk about some of the more reliable resources in the media that does not exaggerate and gives correct information!

    ReplyDelete