Pages

Tuesday 19 February 2013

Something to talk about......

This is my response to the video by a teacher from Hawaii:DIGITAL LIFE

The video was a parody of a music video done to inform us how Digital life has changed who we are and how we live and go about our lives every day. I found the music video to be entertaining to watch in general however the scenes in it didn't have much to do with electronics and how they impact us so I was disappointed with that fact. The teacher performing in it made me think it was a Lady Gaga type video however it was supposed to be about the impact the electronics made in our lives. There was almost no technology shown in the video however there was lots of bling so that made me interpret the video differently then I would if it had revolved around items like cell phone and ipads more. She should have done less close ups with flashy sunglasses and bling and instead have maybe shown the different types of technology today being used and how often people use them,because she was spot on when telling us how often instagram is used and such. If you walk past the cafeteria during lunch then you can clearly see that although people are talking amongst themselves, almost everyone will have their phone whether for facebook,instagram or just to text a class mate that's sitting a few tables down. When she showed the ipads being used that part of the video had really appealed to me because I remember first using the ipads in school and how much fun it was to use all the different programs. Then I realised how far the technology really has come because if perhaps a teacher in Hawaii is also using ipads with her class or if even the entire school is that its a really big step from just using the standard computers that were mostly being used only a few years ago when my older siblings went to school.

Digital Life has truly impacted our lives so much in both positive and negative ways. My parents always mention how lucky I am to just be able to "google" something if I dont understand a concept, and my grandma always marvels at how she can be eating supper in Poland while I'm eating breakfast in Canada and that we can video chat before I leave for school. Its amazing that technology has come so far that now simple hand-held cameras can work underwater, or that since my phone has data I can access the Internet where ever I am. We have become very dependant on the technology we use everyday and I for one would find it extremely difficult to try and function without it. Without my phone by my side all the time I feel very lost, it doesn't matter if I'm using it or not it always has to be in my pocket and if I lose wifi  bars during school, right away I have to turn on data to check something, just so that I'm re-assured that I'm still in touch with everyone and everything else. Something negative about the increase in how digital life is a part if our daily lives is that because we have become so dependant upon it, without having access to it we feel uneasy and uncomfortable. Take for example a power outage, it is seen as an extreme inconvenience because we don't have access to a majority of the technology we are used to having all the time. During a power outage aside from lighting/heat problems that can be solved temporarily (candles for light, blankets for heat) we are most uneasy because a factor of our live we depend on having easy access to; the Internet is unavailable. This is an example of how the increase of digital life has impacted us, that we are so dependable upon it that not having the access to use it is uncomfortable. However, beyond this, the increase of Digital life in has made our lives much easier and kept everything connected in a quickly accessible manner, as the song said "digital life has changed who we are" and I completely agree.
















No comments:

Post a Comment