Pages

Wednesday 28 November 2012

Genius Hour Project Sharing

For my Genius Hour Project, I am working by myself because I wasn't here the day we got into groups and started planning them. However, I would like to have some feedback so that I can improve my project before presenting it, so if you want you can answer the questions below.

What my project is about
My project is about finding new solutions to reduce unemployment rates while damaging the environment less. Today, unemployment has become a problem in many places, so people have been fixing it by building more factories and producing more jobs. However, most jobs have big impacts on the environment, like global warming and pollution. Even though people are already helping the environment, the world is developing at a rate too fast for us to handle. In order to narrow my topic and focus on a specific scenario, I am doing this project for Surrey, which is the city I currently live in.

Why it appealed to me
I chose this topic because I want to see the relationship between jobs and the environment in more detail (looking at employment from a more scientific view). The problems include air pollution from factories/vehicles, not taking care of ecosystems, and using natural resources. These will never be completely solved, but if left untouched they could become dangerous to all of us.

What contents and skills are in it
This project relates directly to both human ingenuity and environment. One interesting thing about this topic is to find/describe the connections between economics and science in the problem, because people often treat the two separately. An important skill learned in this project would be to apply my research into practical use, or using it to improve ideas. I am also making a slideshow for the project, so that could be another skill.

Progress Report
Currently I am finishing up my research and putting it into my own words. I am still finding out more about Surrey, but my general information is mostly done. Soon, I will be thinking of solutions to specific environmental problems. I plan to be presenting my project (including the slideshow) within the next 2 weeks.

Feedback
At this rate, do you think I can finish the project by early December?
Is there a focus/point on Surrey?
Is the information organized?
Could there be solutions to the problems that are reasonable (cost, technology required) today?
How could the project be appealing to both adults and teenagers?

No comments:

Post a Comment